Raising Bean
HomeAboutContactAdvertiseSummer Bucket List

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Quinoa & Cheese

I don't know about your family, but mine are BIG Mac and cheese fans. So when I came across this recipe by Around The Table for a healthier version of "Mac" and cheese I knew I had to try it out to see if it was family approved.

The one thing I like about Mac and cheese, or quinoa and cheese, is that your can do whatever you want with it as long as you have a good basic recipe. Which is exactly what this is! I tried it plain, but next time I make it I'm going to toss in some delicious broccoli and cauliflower, nom nom!

So here you go my friends! My recipe for Quinoa and Cheese as I adapted it from Around The Table. Like I said, this is your basic recipe, feel free to add in extra seasonings or change up the cheese, whatever you like!
Photobucket

Ingredients
1.5 cups uncooked quinoa
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
Panko breadcrumbs (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350f. Cook your quinoa according to packaging directions. You'll see little spindles coming out of them as it cooks, alien food!!

In a large bowl beat your eggs and milk together, once quinoa is finished cooking fold the quinoa and cheese into your eggy milk mixture. (If you want veggies or something else in it, this is where you would fold it into the mixture also.)

Spread your mixture into a greased 9x13 baking pan, sprinkle breadcrumbs on top if desired, and put it in the oven. Let it bake for 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!

This dish also reheats realllly well, so Bean and I have had leftovers for lunch the past two days. Her and my husband both loved the dish and the cheesiness, although hubs says it could use more cheese. I think it's super cheesy though.
**the picture is of a smaller batch I made.

No comments:

Post a Comment